Istanbul had a zoo in Gulhane when I was a child. I had the best memories there with my cousins and my grandfather. I remember how we fed the giraffes with the barks of trees.
In 1991, the zoo in Gulhane had been shut down because of the many complains of the living conditions of animals. (Yeah it became terrible I remember that also :((( )
In 1993 Faruk Yalcın, the founder of Faruk Yalcın Zoo who was known as a constructor of NATO, started a bird sanctuary in Darica to conserve the species which are endangered. He succeded in wild bird life and saved. Faruk Yalcın, developed a suitable habitat for the birds to live in a natural environment. This forming advanced the sanctuary to a botanical garden as well. By 1995, the establishment generated a tropical area and started activity on adding wild life animals to the zoo.
|ring taled coatis|
The zoo is protecting 135 species of animals which are endangered. When you visit the park you will also find 14 species of Anatolian animals which are in critical level of wildlife. There are 600 different plant species as 70% of is from exotic climate.
Must knows about Faruk Yalcın Zoo
- The zoo has sections divided to regions of world. So you can pick the species that the little ones are curious about and plan your visit accordingly. There is a map at the ticket desk that you can ask.
- The security of children and of course animals has been arranged fair well ;))
- You can visit the area with your strollers comfortably.
- There are food courts at different spots of the zoo. You can have drink, food and rest as well at these sections. Please note that there is no food for the babies, so it will be wise to make a pack from home.
- Touring the park lasts at least 3 hours. So do not forget to take sunscreen and hat for children during summer time.
- The restrooms were clean in the morning, but at noon :(( Therefore believe in the power of baby wipes. There is no diaper changing room, sorry. However you can change it outside on benches, it would be more healthier..
- There is a kind of amusement park on the way of your tour. I suggest you to pass through the jingly playground at final of your tour.
- There is a parking lot outside the zoo at a very close corner. However, if you can't find free lot for your car, my suggestion is to park on streets behind the main highroad. If you still can't find any place, you can use the private parking lots, which are around 7 TL for whole day time.
- There are educational tours for scool groups. Please make phone call before your visit.
- Of course take your camera with you, you can shoot lots of lovely moments of your child.
|the bear named as YUMOŞŞ ;))|
Admission fees and visiting hours
Zoo is open 365 days of year.
The visiting hours are between 8:30- 17:00
0-4 ages are free
Sudent: 15 TL
Adult: 20 TL
65 years and over ages: 10 TL
Museum pass card owners have the advantage of discount on entering fee!
|enterance of the zoo|
- Private vehicle: Take TEM highway and exit from Şekerpınar. Follow the signs leading to Bayramoğlu. When you see McDonald's at your left, you will find the signs showing the directions to Faruk Yalcın Zoo.
- Public transportation: Take shuttles from Harem going to Gebze. Stop at Çayıroğlu McDonald's. Take bus no: 501 and hop off at the bus stop in front of the zoo.
- If you are coming from Kocaeli: From main bus station or from E-5 highway take bus no : 400 and hop off at the bus stop of the zoo.
Adres: Faruk Yalcın Hayvanat Bahçesi
Tuzla caddesi No:15
(297)- 41700 Darıca/ Kocaeli
Phone: +90 212 265 9965
|child viewing the fishes|
They will find the advantage of observing the wildlife animals and birds in their natural environment.
This is another world to show them instead of city life.
So let the children to understand the habitat surrounding in a real world, other than watching programme on television.
And one last note of mine, there is a red panda coming to park this year! So we will be visiting again since my children became fan of the zoo. Hope to see you there ;))